Making resolutions for the new year is a time-honored tradition. We vow to improve ourselves – exercise more, start (or finish!) a project… the list is endless. This year, see how many resolutions you can keep – right from the comfort of your Calvosa home!
- Get organized. Even though we live in a digital age, there still seems to be paper everywhere! Take time to de-clutter your drawers and desk. Sort everything. Designate a spot that’s just for paperwork or bills, and create a system for sorting things as soon as they come in. Clean out the closets – and see how much space you have.
- Create a healthier environment. Think about what you’re eating, wearing orcleaning with. Get the junk food out of the house and load up on lots of nuts, fruits and veggies. Be aware of the chemicals in your cleaning supplies. Replace them with non-toxic or earth friendly versions if possible. Buy better made clothes made with natural fibers.
- Make technology your friend. Whether you’re trying to lower your heating bills or find time to exercise consistently, automation is the key. Automated thermostats. Automated bill paying. Automatic reminders. It’s easier to develop and stick to new habits with a little help from technology.
- Find a space for everything.Go room by room, and think about what you really use each part of your home for — watching movies and reading in the great room, for example. Make sure that everything you need to do these things is at hand, and get rid of anything unrelated.
- Spend more time with family. Schedule family dinners, game nights, movie nights – whatever your family likes. Turn off the phones, and settle down in the great room with some popcorn and a plan to spend uninterrupted time together as a family.
- Actually exercise more. You’ve been thinking of creating your own mini fitness center, so go ahead and turn your bonus room into a gym or yoga studio. And use your smart phone or tablet to remind you to exercise every day. No excuses!
- Read more. You know that pile of books (traditional or digital) that’s been sitting unread for ages? Create a reading nook for yourself in the study or guest room. Find a cozy chair, a good light and a shelf or table, and get comfy. (Don’t be surprised if you keep finding kids in your nook, though!)
- Learn a new skill.Hop on the DIY bandwagon. Choose an area that appeals to you (sewing, woodworking, painting) and search for online tutorials, pick up a book, or hunt for a local class or workshop to get started. The sense of fulfillment you’ll get when you finish a project is unbeatable.